Wednesday, December 19, 2012

{Gone Country} Embracing Our Okie Roots

Being born and raised in Oklahoma, you'd think my husband and I would have embraced the {cowboy} & {cowgirl} in each of us, but for some of us it takes a little time to discover what we are really made of.  And that's the place our family is at!  The last few weeks we've been heading out east of Tulsa to Kris' Aunt Dyana & Uncle Ron's horse ranch to ride horses and enjoy the beauty of country living.  And we must admit, it's very addicting.  For Kris, Ryan, and myself, we enjoy our times out in the country riding, playing, and just breathing in the fresh air and simplicity that city life doesn't offer.  And perhaps one day we will move that way, but until then we are savoring the days we are out on the ranch. 

It didn't take but a few minutes for Ryan Elizabeth to catch on to the country life.  Our first time out there she got on her horse Sisssy with very little reluctance and was led around the arena.  And afterwards as we were cleaning stalls, she began picking up poop with her bare hands and putting it in the wheel barrel.  No hesitation at all!  That's my girl!  And of course, I let her continue...looks like we will be getting her a little shovel in the near future to help out.  One of her favorite things to do out on the ranch is lead her dog "Trucker" (whom she calls Tucker) around by his collar and put him in his "carriage", which is a gated pen in the arena.  She's in heaven with this Australian Shepherd.  And we aren't sure he totally loves all the attention, but is very sweet natured and goes along with her.  I'm sure he's happy to see us drive off at the end of the day. 

Recently our trips out there have been more frequent with this beautiful 60 degree weather in December and have brought just as much joy as our first visit!  For certain, these city slickers have gone country...and here's our proof!  I guess secretly, I've always wanted to be a cowgirl...I guess it's not a secret any more. 











No comments:

Post a Comment